You’ve talked to prospective contractors about remodeling your house. Now, it’s time to discuss the cost. Expect remodeling companies in Austin, TX, to give you an accurate estimate for the total project cost.
For the initial contact, you may get an estimate over the phone. This is only a ballpark figure. A far more realistic value comes when the contactor actually visits your home to see what’s involved with your makeover project. Look for these line items in your cost estimate:
- Labor – There is the day-to-day labor to consider, as well as the specialty contract work that may be necessary.
- Materials – Ask for a specific breakdown of the costs. When remodeling involves the bathroom, new fixtures, flooring, and cabinets are part of the overall cost.
- Demolition – You may have to remove walls, flooring, or appliances before installing the new materials.
- Testing – Older houses may have asbestos in the ceiling or lead in the paint. For everyone’s health, it’s important to conduct testing.
- Permits – Your contractor will have to obtain several construction permits, depending on the work being done.
All of these add up to the total project cost. Be sure you understand precisely what it is you’re paying for. Also, make sure that you get a guarantee on all work provided.